Welcome to the Drone Aware website. A joint Civil Aviation Authority and British Model Flying Association initiative.
The Drone Aware initiative aims to educate and inform the general public and new Drone pilots about lawful and safe drone operation. Drone Aware events will be taking place at participating BMFA affiliated clubs where new and existing drone flyers can attend and learn about safe and lawful drone operation.
When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe.
Follow these simple steps to make sure you are flying safely and legally.
- Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don’t fly higher than 400 feet
- Always keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields
- Use your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don’t.
Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:
- within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
- over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events
See the Drone Aware quick safety guide on flying drones for fun.